Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pork Roast - in honor of the new "Stimulus" bill


Mommy's little helper

Before seasoning



All put together



I had a pork roast I was planning on making, and given how much "pork" was added to the new Stimulus bill, decided to make it for dinner last night. I'll be holding my tongue on getting any more political than that, otherwise this may become a long post.

And of course, on the first meal that I decide to photograph and blog about, I forget to take an "after" photo. Oh well, I'll just have to make it again. I guess we were just a little more focused on getting food in our bellies than getting pictures for my blog.

This was just a "throw together" roast. Ever since I was a kid, my mom made roasts like this, and they almost always turn out well. It's also super easy because it's made in an oven bag, so all you have to clean is the actual dish you cook it in. These days, I'm all about convenience.

Basically, I just placed the roast in the bag, then threw in a chopped onion, large carrot slices/chunks, potato chunks, and a few pieces of chopped celery for flavor. I lightly salted it (I use low-sodium salt), then added pepper and a fifteen ounce can of cream of mushroom soup. I then added about a half cup of fried onions and about 3/4 cup of water.

Tied up in the bag (with holes cut for ventilation), it went in a 300 degree oven for about an hour and thirty to forty-five minutes. I always use a meat thermometer to tell me when my meat is done (pork roast is done at 170 degrees). I find that it's the safest way to cook, but also ensures the best meat. That way, I can cook it just until it's done and not when it turns to rubber. The meat is more juicy, easier to cut, and much more tender. And with pork, that's always good.

It turned out great, and we had a good amount left over that will make for good lunches. I also made a green bean casserole with it because Neal loves it so much. You can't ask for an easier meal. Thank you Reynolds for this amazing cooking tool!

Here are the pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counter