Sunday, February 3, 2008

Funeral protests

"If you won't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them."

So I don't get the people that protest at funerals. For those of you unfamiliar with them, it's a group of people that call themselves Christians (Westboro Baptist Church), and go around protesting mostly military, but mainly high-profile funerals, telling people that their loved-ones deaths were God's vengeance on America for allowing gays civil rights.

Granted, I'm a military wife, so it's a touchy subject, but even if it wasn't mostly military funerals, what kind of person protests where people are grieving?!? I just really don't get it, there's a total disconnect between these people and common sense! When doing some minor research on their website http://www.godhatesfags.com/, you just really can't make sense of their statements. On their home page, they say that because they were conducting "peaceful demonstrations" opposing the gay lifestyle, that America bombed WBC, and now God hates America.

Okay so first, how do you call yourselves children of Christ when you speak nothing but hatred? Also, I'd call their demonstrations anything but peaceful. Any time you strike at the heart of someone's grief, it is not peaceful. And I won't go into how I think God sees that. Then, they say that America bombed them. The supposed bombing was one guy that decided to take matters into his own hands, and set off a pipe bomb near the house of two of the families. That's not America, and that's not bombing the church. I agree that this guy should have gotten more than the 16 days or so in prison that he got, but America didn't do this, he did.

Now, as to God hating America, I think these people have a seriously messed-up view of God. I guess that means that God hates everybody then, because when was the last time that you led a sinless life? I know I haven't. If God hates America for protecting someone's civil rights, then we're all in a heap of trouble. Now, whether or not you agree that gays should be a protected group, do you think it's right for these people to be targeted for their choices? God can forgive a multitude of sins, and we're okay with that. But we're not okay with that one? It's not okay for your house to be bombed because of what you believe, but it's okay for us to ignore gays being targeted for their choices/beliefs? Please!

Anyway, I'll get off my high horse about it. But I will say one thing: anyone that goes around stating "God hates..." should be awfully careful. The God I know loves, and while the bible does say he hates sin, nowhere does it say that he hates his creation (the sinner), and yes, gays are a part of that. I also seem to remember a verse that states:

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12 17-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counter