Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Wow, it's been a while

So I've been out of the country lately. I had gone home to the U.S. to visit family for a month, and didn't have a lick of time to post on my blog. Oh well. But updates abound:

First, we're pregnant! Part of the reason I was going home was to find a doctor for when I move back this summer. The baby's due this fall, and we're not super comfortable with the thought of me being pregnant during the tourist season here, and at least a 1.5 hour drive from the hospital, so I'm going to be having the baby back at home.

Another reason I went home was to house-hunt, but HOLY COW! the real estate market is crazy right now. Prices are ridiculous, and people just aren't coming up off of their listing prices. Given the current state of the U.S. mortgage industry, we keep thinking this is the best time to buy. But apparently not. Blah!

So being back in Italy was a bit weird at first. I didn't realize just how much I had gotten used to being back in the U.S. until I went to get on my flight to Rome. When I heard people speaking Italian, it was almost foreign again, which was weird. I had gotten to the point that it was natural to hear.

There are definitely some things that I don't like about moving back to the States - mainly, leaving my husband behind. But I'm also going to miss the food, the cheap produce, being so close to so many travel opportunities, the few friends that I've made here, my awesome garden outside, and the cultural experiences that I've (finally) gotten used to. I think I had to leave for a month to realize just how much I would miss. Don't get me wrong, I will enjoy being back in the States, and how easy life will be when I know exactly where to go for the things I need, but I will miss European living. Once you get used to it, it has it's appeal. I know, weird.


A few things I'm looking forward to though:

-Not having to ask everyone if they speak English before I embarass myself and try to say something in Italian
-Knowing what cut of meat I'm looking at in the grocery store, and that it's not horse (ew!)
-Stores like Trader Joe's, The Fresh Market, and Nature's Pantry
-People obeying traffic laws (for the most part)
-Not having to dodge people as I'm walking through the store
-Smoothie King!
-My esthetician
-No longer having to do math in my head to figure out how much I'm spending (and crying when I hand over Euro because it hurts so much)


There are pros and cons both ways, but I am so looking forward to being near family again, especially with a little one on the way. I'm ready to find a good church, be near friends, and just feel like I'm home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counter